Nutritious Nosh

 

FOOD    GRUB    NOSH

Whatever you call it, we all need it!  Some of us choose better ways of eating than others which is a shame as we could all be benefit from Nutritious Nosh that nourishes, heals and protects us from all the nasties out there.

A few of you have asked what we eat in a typical week in the Mammy Poppins household, so this blog post is a typical food week for us, including Jimmy.  We all eat the same, give or take, and I don't make separate 'baby' meals.  James has always eaten the same as us, even from six months old.  Who on earth has time for separate meal times, meals and continuous cooking and cleaning up?  Certainly not me!

I'm also a fan of making extra portions, so that lunches the next day are equally as nutritious, even Jimmy's. 

Here we go...

Upon rising (ready to start the day... not the night wakes!) I stumble my way down to the kitchen in a state of slumber (ok, Zombie state) and I make a fresh lemon juice & filtered water drink with a pinch of cayenne pepper and Himalayan salt.
 BOOM!  A metabolic boosting, detoxing, alkalising, antioxidant, disease busting start to the day!

I must mention, that this does not taste lush!  And I certainly don't give it to Jimmy, but it sure as hell wakes me up!  After this non-delish bad boy, there is a zingy spring in my step and I feel ready to tackle the day ahead.

Sometime later, usually about 12 hours after my evening meal, I'll have my breakfast, in the form of a smoothie.  This usually consists of
avocado, spinach, lime juice, banana and some fruit.
Pineapple is a real family favourite and Jimmy absolutely LOVES his smoothie in the morning!  It is a sneaky way of getting green veg into him (and Andrew!) and giving everyone a nutritious, calcium boosting start to the day.

Some of our evening meals this week...

A lot of the inspiration I have is a mixture of me winging it (when I've not planned), Justin Lord's TBT programme and Deliciously Ella!

Warming Salad

with roasted peppers, courgette, beetroot, chickpeas & paprika, carrot, sundried tomatoes, plum tomatoes, butternut squash on a bed of raw spinach with my fave dressing of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, turmeric and honey!  DEEEEE LISHH!
 


   

MUSHROOM, CARROTS, TOMATOES & CHICKPEA STEW

This is just all the above shoved in a pan and left to boil until the carrots are soft.  Easy Peasy!
The photo is of my lunch box the following day in work.

ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA ROASTED VEG

I hadn't planned tea for this night, nor did I have time to think of anything so I roasted some veg in some herbs and oil; courgette, parsnip, pepper, butternut squash and beetroot with sundried tomatoes on a bed of quinoa and a tiny scattering of goats' cheese.
 

 AMAZING FRUITY RAW SALAD

Peeled carrot & courgette with cucumber, sundried tomatoes topped with a sprinkling of goats cheese, pomegranate seeds and goji berries, drizzled in my fave salad dressing (see above)
 
OMG!  Get Goji berries in your life!
 
 


 CANELLINI BEAN & SUNDRIED TOMATO MIX

Similar to the second meal featured here, throw tinned tomatoes, cannellini beans and sundried toms in a pan and boil for about ten mins, I added broccoli just for some variety.
 
 
 
I try to use turmeric most days in most recipes for its amazing health benefits (which actually deserved a whole post on its own!), usually sprinkled on veg or in a salad dressing.
 
 

TOP TIPS for a stress free, quick and nutritious week:

1. Plan meals for the week so that you can work around work/kids commitments and time consuming things.
 
2. Make a shopping list based on your meal plans.  This stops wastage and stops you from having to "wing it".  This way you're more likely NOT to reach for convenience rubbish to eat.
 
3. Make extras for everyone's lunch boxes the next day.
 
4. Prep the night before, this saves rushing around and grabbing food on the go.
 
5. Freeze bigger batches for 'emergency food'.  When you've got no time or something unexpected has cropped up.
 
6. Eat raw!  No need to wait for cooking time!
 
Nourish yourselves, look after yourselves.
Live long & live happy.
:)



SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Looks & sounds delicious... Fancy writing up a shopping list please?!xox

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig